User menu

Unity Baptist Church

112 East Sumter St.
Kershaw, SC 29067
(803) 475-4330

The congregation of Unity Baptist Church was organized in 1909 as an outgrowth of Kershaw's First Baptist Church. Unity is believed to be the second separate black church established in Kershaw, in the early 20th century. The congregation originally met in the homes of its various members. The new sanctuary was built by Deacon George L. Shropshire, a local carpenter and contractor. The Reverend A. W. Hill became the church's first full-time minister in 1911 while he was still a student at Benedict College in Columbia. Hill's successor, the Reverend L. C. Jenkins was the first pastor to occupy the parsonage (c.1922) adjacent to the church. Unity Baptist Church has undergone few alterations since its construction and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. View from outside; open on Sundays.